Do you have an awesome collection of knives for every imaginable purpose? Driven to contribute? The kind of person that brings solutions to problems?
We’re looking for an experienced, skilled, multi-talented cook with leadership experience. Bring your strong passion for being on the line, in the action, and at the center of whatever is going on.
We are Black Rock Resort in Ucluelet, on the edge of Pacific Rim National Park. Set amongst old growth Cedars and the rugged shoreline of Vancouver Island in the traditional territory of the Nuu-chah-nulth people, our natural setting provides an incredible bounty of seasonal ingredients.
Come share your passion with guests from around the world and around the corner. We’re building a playground for the culinarily adventurous based on mutual respect, inclusion, community, and growth.
Is this you?
- Super adaptable and appreciative of the controlled chaos and expected challenges that the kitchen faces every day.
- Comfortable handling a small banquet, butchering fish, fowl or artichokes.
- Able to cook a steak or eggs 10 different ways perfectly every time.
- Adept with all manner of seasonal vegetables, dietary concerns and restrictions, you can even whip up a classical dessert when called upon!
- Confident setting the days prep list, and coaching and encouraging your team to get it done efficiently and expertly
- Communications – You have good attention to detail and know how to share critical info with your team
- Getting everyone on track making the recipes the way they were meant to be.
- Interested in learning and sharing knowledge about techniques and ingredients with your team.
- Wage Commensurate to Experience
- Pooled Tip Sharing
- Free Meal on Shift
- Staff Discounts (40% off food at Currents and Big Beach Lounge, 40% off Spa Services)
- Medical, Dental, Life Insurance & benefits
- Associate Rates for Hotel Stays
- Volunteer Support Opportunities
- Team Enrichment Events
- Financial Support for Relevant Education Opportunities
- Low-cost On-site Housing, if Required and as Available
- Year-round Employment
- Inclusive Work Environment
- Knowledge of the west coast region and/ or local experience
- Passion for to inspiring, coaching and developing a team
- 5+ years diverse culinary experience (Preference given for Resort/Hotel experience)
- 2+ years culinary leadership experience
- Completion of a butchery program would be welcome
- High volume line cook experience
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Proven teamwork skills
- Knowledge of sourcing and procurement
- Successful completion of an accredited culinary program, or equivalent
- Red seal certification or equivalent
- First Aid certification is an asset
- Excellent written and verbal English language communication skills
- Ability to work in high-paced, physically demanding environment
- Able to Lift/Move up to 40 lbs.
This job description is intended an introduction of the role, rather than a complete list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.